Friday, August 30, 2013

Rooted by streams of water?


Oh, the joys of those who...delight in the law of the LORD, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season without fail. Their leaves never wither, and in all they do, they prosper.     
Psalm 1:1-3

I have begun a CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) unit at the local hospital, training to be there for people in quick and unexpected ways. So far I've had about a week of orientation and two opportunities to shadow seasoned chaplains to learn the ropes before I serve patients, families, and staff myself next week. There were a large number of trauma events happening as I shadowed the first day, so strangely I am feel prepared to step in as chaplain in the Emergency Department. But the more routine patient and family visits still make me anxious. Afraid to say or do the wrong thing, I asked the chaplain I was shadowing last night for some advice. She said, "oh, you will say and do the wrong thing at some point. We all do." She continued, "What matters more is that you are at peace at you enter." She went on to explain that we don't listen well or care for others when we are worried about ourselves. We simply need to be firmly rooted in God ourselves to be able to sit, talk, ask questions, pray or discern what it is the person before us needs in that moment.  This is what counts as a successful visit. This is what will lead to fruit in the lives of others.  This is the image I will carry with me this fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment